This easy strawberry Swiss meringue buttercream is great paired with so many desserts! I love it on my pink strawberry cake and in macarons. It would also be so pretty smoothed on the top of sugar cookies with a pretty freeze dried strawberry slice on top. Or what about on top of brownies! And of course piled high on cupcakes.
The base of this buttercream is from my faux Swiss meringue buttercream recipe, that recipe is super versatile and I use it every chance I get, especially for cakes. It smooths like a dream.
Tools to make the buttercream
To make this easy strawberry buttercream you’ll need a mixer with whisk and paddle attachments, a scale, and a sifter to sift your powdered sugar. Recently I’ve been skipping the sifting and it’s been just fine. You can try without but if you find it is not becoming smooth you may want to continue to sift in the future.
Easy Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- mixer with paddle and whisk attachments
- 6 oz pasteurized carton egg whites
- 24 oz confectioners sugar
- 18 oz unsalted butter, softened
- 1 oz package freeze dried strawberries, crushed up finely
- 2 tsp strawberry extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Weigh out your egg whites in the bowl of your mixer. Sift your confectioners sugar into the bowl.
- Make sure your mixer has the whisk attachment on. Begin mixing it on low, slowly increasing it to high and let it go for about 6 minutes.
- Change out your whisk attachment for the paddle.
- Turn the mixer on low and add your butter in 1 stick at a time.
- Add your salt and flavoring and let the mixer go on low for about 10 minutes.
- Crush up your freeze dried strawberries and mix them in with your mixer or spatula.