This white chocolate buttercream is sweet but balanced and so smooth. It’s a great addition to any cake or holiday dessert.
Tools you’ll need to make the white chocolate buttercream
To make the white chocolate Buttercream
To make the buttercream start by chopping and melting down your chocolate so it has time to cool to room temperature. Don’t over heat the chocolate. You can melt it down in a double broiler or use the microwave in 10 second bursts.
Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, add your room temperature butter to your mixers bowl and beat on medium high (this is setting 6 on a kitchen aid) for about 5 minutes. The butter will look almost white when it is ready. Once the butter is creamed add the sugar small amounts at a time letting it fully incorporate before adding more.
This recipe is enough buttercream for a 2 layer 8 inch cake or 3 layer 6 inch cake. It goes really well with my Peppermint White Chocolate Cake.
White Chocolate Buttercream
- mixer with paddle attachment
- chopping tools
- 8 oz White chocolate bars (not chips)
- 1.5 cups unsalted butter, room temp 12oz
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, room temp 87 g or 3 oz
- 3 cup confectioners sugar 400 g or 14 oz
- 1 tsp salt 6 g
- 2 tsp vanilla extract 6 g
- Chop the chocolate bar and melt on a double broiler or by microwaving in short burts of 10 seconds and stirring between. Do not over heat your chocolate. Set aside and let cool. We will not be adding it to the buttercream until it has cooled.
- Add your room temp butter to your mixer with the paddle attachment and mix on medium high for 5 minutes, this is a 6 on kitchen aid. The butter will look almost white when done.
- Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and add the sugar in small increments letting it fully combine before adding more until you've added all of the sugar.
- Add the room temp heavy cream. I like to microwave the cream for 10 seconds before I start everything to allow it to come down to room temp by the time I need it. I find cold cream doesn't incorporate as well.
- Once the cream is fully incorporated add the vanilla and salt to combine.
- Last you will add in the melted room temp chocolate to the buttercream on the low speed until it's fully combined. Make sure to scrape the bowl to ensure it is combined well.